CREATIVE ARTISTRY by
For price quote on paintings and commissioned artwork:
Please contact us email@example.com/Ed Alejandre
STORE: (sorry, under construction)
NOTECARD SETS w/matching envelopes
Southwest museum #284 founded in 1903 by Charles f. Lummis first museum established in los Angeles and casa de adobe, a hacienda museum hand built by Jose Vasquez in 1917
#10 Charles Lummis Residence (El Alisal), 200 East Avenue 43. Charles F. Lummis, author, editor, historian, librarian for the City of Los Angeles (1905-1910), archeologist and founder of the Southwest Museum (1907) started to build his stone house designed by Sumner Hunt and Theodore Eisen which took him 15 years to complete. Los Angeles Historic-Cultural Monument #68
#11 5905 El Mio Drive. Queen Anne and Eastlake built in 1885 Los Angeles Historic Monument #142
#12 San Encino Abbey 6211 Arroyo Glen. Construction started in 1915 by Clyde Browne. The recreation of a 17th Century monestary.The original name was "Oldestane Abbey" and includes rocks and buts of masonry from old monasteries, castles and ruined buildings of Europe. Los Angeles Historic-Cultural Monument#106
#13 Helen Washburn House. 112 Avenue 41Wife of William J. Washburn at one time stood next to the Washburn House see #14, but moved around the corner to Avenue 41
#14 Washburn House Destroyed by fire. Residence of William J. Washburn, prominent banker and President of the school board for three years, 4000 N. Figueroa.
#15 Southwest Museum, 1912-14, 234 Museum Drive. Founded in 1903 by Charles F. Lummis. First museum established in Los Angeles and was the oldest privately endowed museum devoted to Native American culture. The Architectural firm of Sumner P. Hunt and Silas R. Burns was responsible for the original design. One of the first major examples in Los Angeles of the transition Mission revival to Spanish Colonial revival. Now part of the Gene Autry Museum of the American West . Los Angeles Historical-Cultural Monument #283.Casa de Adobe by Theodore Eisner is a 1917 reconstruction of a Mexican 1800's adobe. The museum contains furniture, paintings, decorative arts, tin work, and religious folk art from California history. Location: 4603 N. Figueroa
Angelino Heights was subdivided in 1886 as Los Angeles' first suburb, connected to downtown by a cable car that ran down Temple Street. Later a trolley car looped around Kensington Road before returning to the city. Carroll Avenue has then largest concentration of Victorian structures in their original location. The 1300 block is listed as a Historic District in the National Register of Historic Places
#20 Piney House, 1355 Carroll Avenue. Built in 1887 for capitalist Harry L. Piney and is an example of the basically unornamented basic Eastlake style. Los Angeles Historic-Cultural Monument #75
#21 Sanders House, 1345 Carroll Avenue. Built in 1887 fir Michael Sanders a, the operator of a storage warehouse in Los Angeles. Los Angeles Historic-Cultural Monument #74
#22 Foy House 1337-1341 Carroll Avenue. Residence of Mary E Foy who in 1880, became the first woman to hold the office of City Librarian. Moved from Witmer Street in 1993. Los Angeles Historic Cultural Monument #8
#23 Innes House, 1329 Carroll Avenue circa 1887. This Eastlake style house was built for Councilman Daniel Innes. As the Innes shoe store prospered downtown the Innes family became one of the first Blue Book families of Los Angeles. Historic Cultural Monument #73
#24 321Carroll Avenue Eastlake/Stick style Los Angeles Historic Cultural Monument #176
#25 1325 Carroll Avenue. Residence of the 1880's Eastlake/Stick style structure with unusual asymmetrical arrangement of windows. Los Angeles Historic-Cultural Monument #109
#26 724 East Edgeware Road, 1887. Noteworthy mansard tower, ornamental ironwork and fish scale shingles
#27 Phillips house 1300 Carroll Avenue Queen Anne Eastlake built in 1887 for retired Iowa merchant Aaron P.. Phillips. Features include interiors of redwood, mahogany and cherry. Los Angeles Historic Cultural Monument #51
#28 1316 Carroll Avenue. Queen Anne style built circa 1880 in the Eastlake style with noteworthy brackets and shell motif below the windows and over the porch steps. Los Angeles Historic Cultural Monument #76
#29 1320 Carroll Avenue Queen Anne style was built circa 1888. Los Angeles Historic-Cultural Monument #77
#30 Residence 1324 Carroll Avenue. This 1880 Queen Anne style cottage is typical of the 19th Century "Plan book" houses with wonderful craftsmanship. Los Angeles Historic-Cultural Monument #78
#31 Sessions House 1330 Carroll Avenue, circa 1880 for dairyman Charles Sessions by arch Joseph Cather Newsom Los Angeles Historic Cultural Monument #52
#32 Haskin House, 1344 Carroll Avenue, A Gay-Nineties house built circa 1895. Los Angeles Historic-Cultural Monument #79
#33 724 east Edge ware Road -Eastlake Inn Bed & Breakfast Inn, 1442 Kellam Avenue This circa 1887 was built as a mirror image, side by side duplex. Los Angeles Historical-Cultural Monument #321Los Angeles Historic Cultural Monument#206 1887
#34 Weller House 824 East Kensington Road, 1894. Queen Anne style with Eastlake and Moorish. It was originally at Angelina and Boylston but its owner/contractor Z.H. Weller moved it to its [present location when oil wells continued to proliferate around him. Los Angeles Historical-Cultural landmark #2223
#35 Everett E. Hall-Leslie Brand-Ida Millard Residence. 1887
#36 1343? 1347/49 kellam Avenue, 1887 Queen Anne Twin Houses in the Eastlake style owned by the same family with shingle detailing in diamond and circular patterns with garland trim sunburst detailing and attractive wood turnings on the porch
#37 Kellam Avenue1442 Kellam circa 1887 Victorian bed and breakfast. Los Angeles Historic Cultural Monument residence
Applause for Historic Preservation-Evolution of a house, from L.A. Times, November 23, 1980
#41 Foy House -1873 built by Samuel C. Foy at original location at Figueroa and 7th Street (Downtown Hilton) . Mary E. Foy lived in the house for many years. She was Los Angeles' third librarian, the first woman to hold the job, active in politics, championing the cause for women's suffrage in California, helped organize the California Parlor of the Native Daughters of the American West and was one of the founders of the First Century Families.. At the time of her death in 1962, just a few months short of her 100th birthday, she was the oldest living graduate of Los Angeles High School, and the oldest retired teacher.
#42 Foy House, moved to 631 S. Witmer Street in 1906 as the business district moved westward. Restored by the Magma Power Company in 1974 at the cost of $50,000. Keogh Gleason, a five-time Oscar-winning set designer, was in charge of interior renovation, even going to France for wallpaper.
#22Foy House today, sits proudly at its third location on Historic Carroll Avenue with the front porch restored.
Expanding Los Angeles found that by running an early car line from Main Street to Washington, the city could expand southward. Beyond Washington Boulevard were 10 to 20 acre orchards. Adams Boulevard was laid out as a street 90 feet wide with a landscape parkway in the center. Eucalyptus and pepper trees lined the streets. In the 1870' and 80's affluent residents began to move away from the center of Los Angeles. South Figueroa and the West Adams District became a fashionable streetcar suburb linking downtown Los Angeles to Exposition Park. During the land boom of the 1870's and 80's. thousands of new lots were created on speculation. By 1890 the population of Los Angeles had risen to 50,000. After 1913, with the start of income tax, people were more careful with their money and there was a trend for less spectacular construction.
#50 Cockins House, 1894. Architects: Bradbeer & Ferris. Restored to the original by removing asbestos siding of the 1940's and re-opening the enveloping porch. It is a mirrored floor-plan of the Salisbury house across the street. Los Angeles Historic-Cultural Monument #519
#51 Salisbury House, 1891. 2703 S. Hoover St. Architects: Bradbeer and Ferris. Queen Anne with gingerbread decorated wrap-around porch, decorative shingles, brackets and gables. Variations of sunbursts adorn the house. Built for Alfred J. Salisbury, a retired New York businessman. Los Angeles Historic Cultural monument #240
#52 Harrison House. circa 1891 The exterior of the ornate Queen Anne structure has survived in mint condition, is a two and one half story residence with first floor exterior walls are composed of wood clapboard siding and shingling on the exterior walls and the second floor composed of fish scale shingles. It was built for Indiana businessman John Cleves Short Harrison. The original color is white unlike many other houses of the era that were multi-colored. Los Angeles Historical-Cultural Monument #296
#53 Miller & Herriott Tract House -1890, 1163 W. 27th St. Designed by Bradbeer and Ferris Eastlake style residence noted for its outstanding exterior architecture Los Angeles Historic-Cultural Monument #242
#54 A.E. Kelly House, 1893. 1140 W. Adams Boulevard. A Queen Anne " house Kit" or Plan book house by George F. Barber of Knoxville Tennessee for the Kelly family who occupied the house until the early 1900's. The Ashley family lived in it for many years. Mr. Ashley was am early Los Angeles City Comptroller. Spectacular Lincrusta Walton Wainscoting on the first floor. Los Angeles Historical-Cultural Monument #296
#55 Second Church of Christ Scientist, 1905-10. Architect: Alfred F, Rosenheim. Style: Italian Renaissance The enormous copper clad concrete dome (70 feet in diameter) of this neighborhood landmark, belong to the oldest Christian Science church in Los Angeles. This Los Angeles Historical-Cultural landmark when constructed was considered an engineering marvel. Inside is an early Murray M. Harris organ, the first organ manufacturer in Los Angeles.
#56 Rusell Judson Waters Carriage House circa 1890, 2625 S. Portland. It was designed as a small scale replica of the now demolished Waters mansion to furnish a skyline view for the port-cocherre and circular drive.
#57 Stewart House-854 West Adams Boulevard. Queen Anne Colonial Revival style. It contains 19 main rooms, , seven on the first floor. six bedrooms on the second, 4 bedrooms and two servants rooms on the third. Rusticated stone at base of first floor and carriage steps at side entrance. At present squeezed between two apartment buildings where at one time there were gardens.
#58 E.L Doheny Mansion (Posey House) 8 Chester Place1899-1905, on Chester Place, Adams District. Designed by Theodore A. Eisen & Sumner P. Hunt Classified as Chateauesque with much of the interior in the French Rococo style. The most famous interior space is the Pompeian Room built in 1905. Los Angeles Historic-Cultural Monument #30
#59 Thomas D. Stimson House 1891 2421 S. Figueroa St. by Carroll H. Brown. Built for a retired Chicago Businessman. One of the few remaining Richardsonian Romanesque buildings made of Arizona red sandstone in California
#60 Durfee House-1007 w. 24th Street. Eastlake style residence built as a farmhouse for Richmond Durfee in the 1880's5 miles to the south in Florence, the house was moved to its present location from Florence in 1889. The "Pink Lady" is now a Bed and Breakfast Inn
#61 Bosler-Jeffries House circa 1890- 1314 W. 25th Street. This late Queen Anne style residence was moved to present location in 1991 facing imminent destruction. It was built for a prosperous blacksmith in the 1880's . It was the home for long time residents Mr. and Mrs Jeffries. Mr. Jeffries was one of the founding members of the Jonathan club and his brother was the founder of the Jeffries Banknote Company
#70 Casa Sepulveda House 1887. 624 N. Main Sreet This example of Victorian Eastlake Architecture was built to combine residence and commercial space for Eloisa Martinez de Sepulveda. It houses historical exhibits and the Olvera Street Visitor center. El Pueblo de Los Angeles State Historic Park, National Register of Historic Places
#71 Moors House 818 S. Bonnie Brae St. In the 1980's and 90's Victorian architecture demonstrated that the owner was a person of means. The visual quality "picturesque" with ornate gables, towers, decorative shingles, walls and bright colors as well as stained and leaded glass windows. The Frederick Mooers house, named for an early owner who discovered the Yellow Aster mine in Kern County boosts these features as well as a touch of the Moorish in the cupola and arches above the windows. Considered a prototype for of distinctive architecture of the boom of the 1880's. Los Angeles Historic-Cultural Monument #45 and listed in the National Register of Historic Places
#72 Dennis House, 767 S. Garland Avenue. One of the last Victorian structures near the downtown area
#73 Doctor Trueworthy House. This slant bay Victorian with Octagonal tower was at Garland Avenue , near 8th Street downtown. Home of dr. John Wesley Trueworthy, who came to Los Angeles in 1882 to practice medicine. One of his patients was Pioneer Southland developer, E. J. (Lucky) Baldwin. Rendering used in a Fairmont China Collector's Plate.
#74 874 Parkview near 6th Street. Destroyed. The house on right was moved to another location escaping demolition
#75 Lewis House, 1425 Miramar Street, circa 1890. Architect Joseph Cather Newsom, the first to consciously design a "California House" Los Angeles Historic-Cultural Monument #39
#76 2660Sichel 1893 #533???Sheathed in asbestos siding hiding the Victorian structure underneath
#77 Lincoln Park BoathouseIs in a 45 acre park formerly known as East Lake Park at the edge of Los Angeles which had housed an ostrich farm and alligator farm, zoo and carousel. Location: Mission and Valley Boulevard
#78 Doctor's House, Glendale, Square tower Victorian that once stood at 921 E. Wilson in Glendale. Built for real estate entrepreneur E. T Byram circa 1880 when the agricultural community of less than 300.Known as the Doctor's houseThe first of the doctor's was Dr. C.V. Bogue of Chicago, physician to the Verdugo family. In 1901, Dr. Bogue sold his house and practice to another doctor, D.E. Hunt, and returned to Chicago.
Dr. Hunt, a native of Sterling Minnesota, was very active in Glendale civic affairs. He was president of the Glendale Improvement Association, which brought the Electric Interurban Line to the city, which in 1906, began action for Glendale's incorporation. He was also president of the city's the city's first bank, the Bank of Glendale, and played a role in the development of the Glendale school system.
The third doctor to reside in the house was Dr. Leon H. Hunt When Dr, Hunt purchased the house in 1906, he also acquired several acres of orange and lemon trees adjoining the property at that time. News items of the day described Dr./ Humt's house and grounds as a "showplace with acres of orange and lemon groves, a fig patch, rose bushes everywhere, and shrubbery and pepper trees.
"The City of Glendale donated a parcel of land and , along with civic-minded individuals and groups move the Queen Anne Eastlake house to Brand Park. It was a a preservation and moving project by the Glendale Historical Association under its President in 1980 Mary Luft
Location: Adjacent to Brand Library, 1601 W. Mountain St. Glendale, California. This rendering was used for the 1981 Burbank-Glendale-La Cresenta Phone Book.
#79 Franklin Avenue (Shakespeare) Bridge - 1926 by J.C. Wright, city Engineers Office. A picturesque spandrel arch bridge laced with elongated Gothic arches and turreted Gothic aedicules (niches) at each end.
#80 Heritage School (Formerly at Los Angeles Unified School Central Office)
#533 Eastlake 1893
#81 Dinsmoor House- Early typical California Mediterranean style acquired by the city of Rosemead as a United States bicentennial project . Albert and Carrie Dinsmoor, pioneers from Minnesota raised three sons and one daughter on the 33 acres dairy owned by the R.W. Robinson family. The house is now headquarters for the Rosemead Historical society and is an Historical museum containing period furnishings and includes Memorabilia of Leonard .J. Rose for whom Rosemead is named after. L.J. Rose's Mansion in Los Angeles (see below) contained a wine cellar which was stocked by wine from his ranches "Sunnyslope" and "Rosemead", derived from Rose's meadows that was just north and east of San Gabriel. Later shortened to Rosemead.Rose and his wife Amanda's land was between 500 and 700 acres between what is now Rosemead Boulevard on the East; Walnut Grove on the West, and from Grand Avenue on the North to Shea Place on the South. He introduced many new varieties of grapes onto cuttings from the "Mother Vine" at Mission San Gabriel Archangel. Rose was also breeder and trainer of fine race horses.
#82 oL.J. Rose Mansion, 4th and Grand, Bunker Hill, Los Angeles, (demolished in 1937). Opulent mansion on Bunker Hill in downtown Los Angeles on the corner of Fourth Street and Grand Avenue. The lavish interior was used for the 1937 Fox Studios movie "IN OLD CHICAGO" about the Chicago fire of 1871. Today, none of the lofty mansions remain.
Pasadena mean :Crown of the valley" in the language of the Chippewas. an Indian tribe that never lived there. The closest Indian tribe that lived around the San Gabriel mission to the East. The history of Pasadena began in 1874 when the San Gabriel Orange Grove Association acquired much of the land of the old Rancho San Pasqual west of the Arroyo Seco to the present Fair Oaks and sold it to prospective citrus growers, much of whom were from Indiana. The Indiana Colony (as it was called) lived there but the surge of growth came in the 80's and 90's when the Southern Pacific and the Santa Fe Railroads entered the town and speculative boosters turned the farming community into a fashionable winter resort.
The main commercial artery, Colorado Blvd. was by 1980 lined with Victorian storefronts (now, Old Town). Queen Anne and Eastlake styles dotted the area but people's tastes were changing and other styles were being accepted, more progressive styles. South Pasadena was at one time going to be incorporated but the anti-salon League was opposed to it
#90Porter HouseQueen Anne cottage that was moved to the site. It was built by one of the founders of the Orange Grove Association who sold the first 84 lots to the Hosier settlers from Indiana
#91Stoutenburg- 1893. Rehabilitated by the CKG Corporation. National Register of Historic Places
#92 Lukens-Kinslingbury House- 1887. A wonderful example of Queen Anne lath-work
#93 Blankenhorne-Lamphear House-1893. Classic Queen Anne Revival style. The site of many commercials
#94 Kosby House-1893. A Victorian designed by Merrithew and Ferris. Moved to Pasadena from 626 W. 30th Street in the North University Park area near the University of Southern California (U.S.C.) in 1982.
#95 Castle Greene 1898, 1903:Architect: Frederick L. Roerig. In 1898 Roerig designed this building as an addition to an older hotel (now demolished). The bridge if sighs connected the two. This Moorish and Colonial revival combination is a city Historic Landmark
#96 Wrigley Estate, 391 South Orange Grove Blvd -1911- Architect: G. Lawrence Stimson. Mission style structure with Italianate brackets is the Headquarters for the Tournament of Roses association. The grounds give an idea of the grand houses that once lined Orange Grove Boulevard. A Pasadena Historic Landmark
#97 Shingle Style house Grand Avenue. A transitional style from the ornate Victorian to the Craftsman style. This one by Seymore Locke
#98 Gamble House, 1906, 4 Westmoreland Place 1908. A masterpiece by Architects Charles and Henry Greene. The plan is reactionary by Victorian standards but is noted more for the quality of craftsmanship and rich interior. Pasadena Historical Landmark
#99 Y.W.C.A.1920-22 The architect of this Spanish Colonial Revival building is by Architect Julia Morgan, California's most famous woman architect. Her most famous accomplishment is Hearst Castle in Northern California
#100 Pasadena Public Library, Main Branch 285 E. Walnut1927 by Myron Hunt and H. C .Chambers. This aerial view of the Spanish Colonial Revival building shows the steps that rise to a screen that shelters an inner courtyard
#101 Pasadena City Hall, 100 N. Garfield Avenue 1925-27 by John Bakewell, Jr. and Arthur R. Brown, Jr.. There are similarities to the Escorial as well as the dome of the new Cathedral in Salamanca. It contains a garden and a fountain in its Central Court. A Pasadena Cultural Landmark
#102 Santa Fe Railroad Station ,1935. E. A. Harrison, System Architect is responsible for this colorful Colonial revival depot
Please visit us again for updates, Thank You
BACK TO TOP: (LOS ANGELES COUNTY)
Please contact us at:firstname.lastname@example.org/Ed Alejandre